Sunday, March 23, 2014

Is a Few Months Enough Time…?

Woooow Gogol is quite the ladies man!

So far Gogol has been in three serious relationships: Ruth, Maxine, and now Moushumi. After two relationships that ended in a heart breaked Gogol, big mama Ashima decides to step in. She sets him up with an old childhood friend. The two immediately hit it off and have now been dating for a solid three months. Since they have been friends, even though they don't remember, since they were little kids, I am sure the two had a lot in common and easily hit it off.

A few months in to their relationship, they start to discover more about each others past. Moushumi grew up in England and later moved to America. There she studied at Brown and then moved to Paris where she met  guy named Graham. Now who is Graham you say? Oh no one except for the guy that Moushumi proposed to! Yup, SHE proposed. Must have been pretty in love, eh? Anyway, they move back to New York and start to plan their wedding. They also go and visit Calcutta and her family where it all goes down hill and the wedding is eventually called off. Oh by the way, all this happened just the summer before her and Gogol met…

Is this enough time? Now personally if this happened to me I would be absolutely devastated and it would definitely take me some time to recover. Lahiri describes Moushumi after the break up saying " All summer she went to the movies by herself, sometimes as many as three a day. She bought TV Guide every week and read it from cover to cover, planning her nights around her favorite shows. She began to subsist on a diet of raita and Triscuits. She grew thinner than she'd ever been in her life, so that in the few pictures taken of her in that period her face is faintly unrecognizable (Lahiri 218)". Well yeah she is like this! I would be too! What surprises me is how eager she is to jump in to another relationship after such a terrible heart break.

Does Moushumi have other intentions? Something she's not telling us about? We will see!

Happy reading!!


1 comment:

  1. Hey Maddy,
    I really enjoyed your blog post because we wrote along similar lines! I am really excited to see what happens with Moushumi and Gogol. There is something about the fact that they share so many memories (whether they really remember them or not), and they have been brought up in similar ways. She is unique in the fact that she will probably be the only person who understand his struggle between following his family’s Indian culture or the American one he has been surrounded with his entire life. She is the only one that was put through Bengali school, been to all of the “extended Bengali family” events, and faced the same decision. I really hope they end up together because out of all of the serious relationships that Gogol has had over the course of this book, I feel like they were all in preparation for this one.
    When I was reading about his previous relationships, I was always able to find a deal-breaker before they even got to it. I don’t see one for Moushumi and Gogol and I hope I never find one! Even though they are both a little disappointed they aren’t marrying a American boy/girl to rebel against their Indian ways, they are in love and that is all that matters. I really hope they last until the end.
    Good job on your blog post, I absolutely loved it! You were so funny and interactive with your audience, which is something I am going to do next time!
    “It matters now what someone is born, but what they grow to be.” –Albus Dumbledore
    xoxo,
    Katelyn Harvey
    P.S. I thought I would throw that inspirational Harry Potter quote in there,
    1. Because it is inspirational
    2. Because it is from Harry Potter (only the greatest thing that has ever happened to the planet earth)
    3. Because I know how much you hate Harry Potter – you’re welcome.

    ReplyDelete